Friday, October 21, 2011

Eliana

click to enlarge.

This is the result of a character design, that I tried to turn into piece that ended up as an experiment and learning experience. I originally drew Eliana as a Dungeons and Dragons character (Eladrin Warlord) for my wife. I thought that if I made her pretty enough and if I created a back story for her that would involve her being a princess that my wife would be willing to play. Fast forward a year later, I hadn't been drawing as much as I would have liked and I kept coming across this drawing. I felt that when people saw it they didn't see what I saw when I looked at it, and I had been wanting to try my hand at digital coloring so I decided to use this one. After months of learning, studying, practicing and a little bit of coloring, I made it to this point. I had originally planned to do more with it, as I tried to add more to the picture, I kind of realized that it's very rare and very difficult to add to a picture an emotion or action that you hadn't originally intended to be there from the start. At least, not once you've arrived at this point, and this is the point I was at when I tried to add more.

Anyway, I really pushed my personal limits coloring Eliana. I tried some things that I had never tried before and I feel very satisfied with the results. I also learned a lot on this one. When I started coloring this image, I thought it was going to be one of my best, and by the time I was halfway through, I decided it was crap and I could do better.

Anyway, I can see some things that I like about this image and some things that kind of bother me, but I am curious to see what others think when they see it. What looks good to you? What do you think could be improved?

Oh, and BTW. One thing I learned a little too late is Web Safe colors. In my opinion, the colors look great on my monitor. But when I look on it on my work monitor all the colors look bland and faded, and the skin looks orange. When I look at it on my wife's iPad, it looks kind of in between. Let me know how they look on your screen, I am hoping they look better on more monitors than not.

3 comments:

  1. It looks good on my screen. Colors look normal, no orange skin. It looks really good. I really like the hair, the colors look good together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great to me! My computer picks up colors really well so my blog often looks weird on other computers :P But I would definitely say this is one of the best pictures of yours I've seen (though I haven't seen a lot of your pictures in a long time). I love the colors on this. I love the colors in her hair. That is just an awesome design right there. And I really love her armor. I love how it is shiny without the colors being too vibrant. I've seen a lot of people use really vibrant colors when they are trying to give their pictures a shiny look. I actually prefer the more subtle shine in pictures. The colors in this are a little more muted without being flat. Very sophisticated in my opinion. Also the face proportions are very very nice and I know that is something you have struggled with. I really like this.

    You know what this picture makes me think. The walls in my house are still pretty bare. Some really cool artwork would be just awesome. Especially if I could say "My super awesome brother drew that." :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I'm super glad that you both commented on the colors. I actually spent some time studying the color wheel and color theory, so I made a conscious effort to pick colors that wouldn't clash and that would fit well together. You might have noticed that I chose to do the ink in a very dark purple instead of just black. It was in an attempt to bring a lot of the colors together and hopefully not only bring out her eyes but also help fit them in with the rest of the image. Thanks again for the comments!

    ReplyDelete