Saturday, November 29, 2014

Baby Monster

Just wanted to share my latest drawing. I submitted my last drawing to a group on deviantART that only accepts drawings that are medium-high to high quality... and was a little surprised and disappointed that it wasn't accepted! I know that really sounds silly, and a bit narcissistic to be surprised, but it was such a huge leap in my ability that I guess I had assumed that it was much better than it actually was.

Anyway, I requested feedback as to why, and the lady who rejected it provided me with really great insight as to what looked good and what didn't. So I tried implementing her feedback in this drawing.

So I really tried to focus on my value ranges, because some of the most positive feedback I got on Ory was her eyes and lips, where I had some knowledge of how to provide lots of contrast. So I tried to focus on that with this picture of my daughter, not just in her mouth and eyes, but also in her hair (sort of failed) and skin (sort of rocked). I also tried out a new brush for drawing hair. I'm not sure how I feel about the way it turned out. The problem was that for some of my favorite brushes that I found for drawing hair, they are so detailed that my graphics card couldn't actually handle them very well.

I was also surprised when I realized that this took me around two months worth of weekends to complete! That's REALLY slow! Someday soon I want to post some of my progressive saves to show how much I struggled with this image though. I really had to make use of some of GIMP's tools for image manipulation to make it look right, because it started out so bad.

So, here's the sneak peek. Click on the image to see the full thing on deviantART! 


Feedback is always welcome! Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work. I find it very interesting to hear about how much time you're putting into it, and confirms to me why my artistic skills never move beyond childish scrawlings.

    ReplyDelete